NIH Healthy Eating Tip Sheets
These health tips focus on how to eat healthfully when dining out, a shopping list for keeping a well-stocked healthy kitchen, and options for choosing low-calorie foods instead of higher calorie ones. The National Institute of Health recommends the following:
- Eating healthy when dining out: Select foods that are steamed, broiled, baked, roasted, poached, or sauteed.
- Eating healthy ethnic food: Choose nutritious options for Chinese, Italian, or Mexican.
- Healthy food shopping: Read the labels, pay attention to calories and serving size.
NIH Health Tips on Stress
This section of health tips covers general information about stress, including how it affects your health and what you can do about it. Here’s what the National Institute of Mental Health wants you to know:
- Stress affects everyone: There are different kinds of stress, all of which can affect you physically or mentally.
- Not all stress is bad: Stress can motivate people to prepare or perform and can motivate your body to face danger.
- Long-term stress can be harmful: If the stress is chronic, your body can suppress important immune, digestive, sleep, and reproductive systems.
- You can manage stress: Exercise, recognize the signs and speak to a health care provider.
NIH Health Tips on Physical Activity
Physical activity is the movement of the body that requires muscle use and uses more energy than resting. Check out these physical activity health tips for Americans aged six and older from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS):
- Types of physical activity: Aerobic exercises such as walking, jogging, hiking, gardening, swimming, bicycling, water aerobics, etc.
- Benefits of physical activity: Maintains a healthy weight, strengthens the body, improves heart and lung functions.
- Recommendations for physical activity: People ages 6 and older should be as active as possible.
- Getting started: Make physical activity a part of your daily routine, keep track of progress, and talk to your doctor regarding concerns and to form a plan.